Friday, February 24, 2017

Potato Pancake




Ever since I was a kid, I have always love eating potatoes. Whenever a meal is served at home, menudo, afritada, nilagang baboy or ginisang ground pork, I will always look for potatoes in these dishes. I also like it mashed with gravy, baked with sour cream, French fries, harsh browns etc. But for a long time and I have been thinking of making potato pancake. I have tried it when I ate at a Polish buffet and liked it. And thought of experimenting on it one of these days. Well, this is the day!

The idea came back to me when I bought dried mashed potato flakes at a store, it was on sale. I bought it because my daughter and I eat mashed potatoes almost every week. Today, I thought instead of mashed, I'm going to experiment on potato pancake. I used the regular pancake recipe, and just substitute potato flakes instead of pancake mix.

Potato is an edible root crop. It is starchy and is rich in carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Only the root crop of the potato plant is edible. The flowers, leaves and stems are toxic. There are about 5,000 varieties of potatoes, although the common species, Solanum tuberosum, is grown worldwide. Different countries have different preparations for this crop. Million tons of potato is produced every year. And 2008 was declared as International Year of the Potato by United Nations.

After buying potatoes, it usually has a few weeks shelf life. It should be stored in a dry, cool place. When it starts sprouting and becoming green in color, then it is no longer edible. What I usually do is trim the green part and the side with the sprout before I cook it.

So here is the simple recipe for my potato pancake.

Ingredients

1      cup        instant mashed potato flakes
1      cup        2% milk
1      pc          egg
1      stick      butter

Procedure

Mix the ingredients except butter to make a batter. In a saucepan, melt butter and pour one scoop of the pancake batter. Flip after 3 minutes to brown both sides. Serve with pancake syrup.



No comments:

Post a Comment