Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Joy of Being a Mother

I have been contemplating for days if I want to publish this blog. I wasn't really sure because this is too personal for me. I am a little hesitant to share about my life as a single mother. I spent a long time writing, then editing, to the point where I mistakenly deleted the whole thing. I had to rewrite everything from memory.

For those who know me will tell you that I couldn't make a conversation without mentioning Sophie. I mean, I couldn't help it. I talk about her all the time!! Hahaha. Sometimes I would analyze myself and wonder why I do it. Surely because she is my only child. And I love her so. It's like my life revolves around her.

I still remember the first time I laid eyes on her. She was born on a Mother's Day, what a perfect timing. At first I didn't hear her cry and asked the nurses that attended to her if there's something wrong. They didn't say anything. Until finally she cried, and they told me she was alright. I couldn't take my eyes off her. I felt she was the most beautiful baby. All mothers would say that about their child. I couldn't believe I have the perfect child.

Its fascinating to watch her grow. And a little painful when she starts to be a little independent. I was the one who cried on her first day of preschool. Lol. I remember her first walk, first word, the first time she cried. I always share to everyone all the little achievements she made. I didn't care if some says I'm  bragging too much. Lol.

I think our bond is stronger because its just her and me. She grew up with just me by her side. And like all children of divorced parents, there's a part of her that wishes that she has a mom and dad. I told her there are kids with the same situation. And that it doesn't mean she is less fortunate. That my love for her is more than enough for two parents.

Raising a child is sometimes challenging, especially if you are a single parent.  You can't be a spoiler and disciplinarian at the same time. Sometimes I feel guilty of being too strict, and sometimes when I spoil too much. Like I don't know where to draw the line. But when people tell me what a wonderful daughter she is. I would tell myself I must be doing it right.

I would end this by quoting Ms. India, Sushmita Sen, on her answer in the Q&A portion of Miss Universe 1994, which was held in Manila, Philippines. Her answer earned her the crown. The question was " What is the essence of being a woman?". I couldn't forget her answer. Part of it was "The origin of a child is a mother, a woman".

To all the kids out there, your moms love you unconditionally. To all the moms, "Cheers to us!!!".





No comments:

Post a Comment