Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Bento lunches

Hello, first of all thank you for visiting my blog...I have wanted to create one and I'm excited to share it with you. For my first article I would be talking about bento lunches, something I love to do nowadays, aside from reading of course.

I recently saw an episode of Kris TV, a lifestyle show in the Philippines, about bento lunches. Judy Ann Santos, a famous actress, wife, mom of two kids and now an author of a cookbook, was the guest of the show and she talks about the bento lunches she makes for her kids. And it got me thinking, here is a very busy actress and she still finds time to make these bento lunches for her two kids...if she can squeeze it in her hectic schedule, then I don't have an excuse not to do it myself.. I don't have any artistic skills. I'm not into drawing and designing. The only thing I love to do is read and cook...and in my wildest dream...to be able to write a book... so i guess making my own blog is a start...

Now for someone who doesn't know about bento, here is what wikipedia says about it. Bento is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. Yes, bento is a Japanese word.. similar to Filipino 'baon'. Now, I'm not going into details about bento, if you wanna know more, check out wikipedia..

So I made a plan.. how do I start making bento lunches.. I started by searching for designs. I really have no idea how to start and so I decided to look up for bento designs for sandwiches and rice meals.. and then it got me thinking, I need some tools... amazon.com has a wide variety of stuff you can buy to help you make bento boxes, but I don't wanna wait.. when I decided to do something, I wanna do it right away.. so I went to local stores near me... I found some tools I need at Five Below and Dollar Tree!..And the next day, Sophie went home from school smiling.. so excited to tell me about the lunch I prepared.. I didn't tell her about her surprise bento lunch...and she gave me a letter afterwards.. telling me how she can't wait for more of my 'picture lunches'...Now that made all my efforts worth it.




For all my Facebook friends, you have seen my posts about the breakfasts and lunches I made for Sophie these past weeks. I plan to continue making bento lunches and will be posting them all!! I hope I inspire some of you to create your own bento lunches for your kids.. it makes eating more fun for them..

Thank you for reading...enjoy the rest of your day!

5 comments:

  1. I will start doing that bento lunches for Dylan to encourage him to eat. I think he will come home from school smiling like Sophia soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great... hope you can do it soon. I'm sure he will come home smiling too.. good luck.. I'm happy I inspired you to make bento lunches for Dylan!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of the word "bento" before. Now I have enough reasons to buy the dinosaur lunch bag from gymboree Dylan likes. I hope to create designs that compliment that lunch bag:)

    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard bento the first time when I went to Japanese restaurant. They serve their food on that red box with dividers. It usually has salad,.rice, either chicken, beef or salmon teriyaki. Then ebi tempura or vegetable tempura... but I didn't know about the 'bento lunch' the most moms make, with designs and everything...oh, I'm excited for Dylan,.look for a dinosaur designing tools to match his lunch bag.. so he can have dinosaur shaped rice or sandwich...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete