Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Crunchy turkey tacos



My daughter and I love Mexican food. For years now, we eat tacos or burritos or Mexican salad at least once a week. Don't forget tamales. We love it too. But its just so hard to find a good chicken tamales that we like. A few years ago, my daughter would ask to go to Taco Bell twice a week!! Anyway, you would think going to Taco Bell is cheap, just a dollar per crunchy tacos. But when your daughter eats 2-3 in one seating, hmmm, maybe its time to make some home made tacos. I made some before but I used a different meat (chicken and fish). And this time since I'm into ground turkey meat lately, why not try ground turkey on my tacos.

So if you are trying to save money and make your own crunchy tacos, here are the stores I can suggest to you. It is very convenient for me because Walmart, Aldi and Dollar Tree are within a few blocks from each other. In fact, I can walk to these stores from my place. But if you are a few miles away, you should also consider your time and gas spent in getting the ingredients.  Anyway, I got my ground turkey (1 lb ) at Walmart, at the frozen isle, only $1.50 each. Buy several and just freeze it at home. Walmart also has the taco mix but its $0.67 each, and sometimes they sell the crunchy taco shells on clearance for just a dollar. If not, get the shells, shredded cheese and sour cream at Dollar Tree. Taco mix is only $0.35/each at Aldi, they run out so fast, so better get a dozen if you see it. Also get the lettuce/green salad at Aldi for only $0.69 each. So below are the ingredients plus the cost of my home made turkey tacos

Ingredients  ( good for 2 dozen tacos)

1    pack         ground turkey meat     ($ 1.50)
2    packs        taco shells                   ($ 2.00)
1    pack          taco mix                      ($0.35)
1    container   sour cream                  ($1.00)
1    pack          green salad                  ($0.69)
1    pack          shredded cheese          ($1.00)
                                                           _______
                           Total                         $6.54  

Only $6.54 for 2 dozen crunchy tacos. I saved $17.46 compared to buying it at Taco Bell. And believe me that's a big savings for someone who has a daughter who just love tacos and ate 2 dozens in 3 days!!! She said they tastes the same. It was good!!!




Procedure

In a saucepan, saute the turkey meat until golden brown. Add the taco mix and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5minutes..set aside

To assemble the taco is pretty simple.  Turkey meat at the bottom of the shell, add the green salad, then shredded cheese. Last is the sour cream. You can also add guacamole or refried beans. These are also affordable at Aldi. Enjoy your crunchy dinner!!


No comments:

Post a Comment