Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fish Tausi




I have been thinking of a different kind of fish dish to cook for days now. I wanted something different, like always. Then I remember the fish tausi that my mother cooks once in a while. Usually she uses fried milkfish. But since I don't have milkfish, and even if I do, I wouldn't attempt to fry it because of all the 'tilamsik' I will get. So I bought pompano, which is my favorite fish these days.

Fish tausi is a Chinese dish. The fish, which can be steamed or fried, is cooked again with sauteed black bean sauce. Black beans or tausi, is a fermented and salted black soybean. It is the oldest known food made from soybean, which can be dated as far as 165 BC. In China, it is called douchi. It is not only used to cook with fish, but also with vegetables and meat.

It is not only popular in China and Philippines. Other Asian countries like Japan, Vietnam, Korea, Cambodia and Indonesia are also using tausi in their dishes. Some parts of Latin America also uses tausi.

Below is my recipe for fish tausi (Fish with salted black bean sauce)

Ingredients

1       whole        pompano, or any fish of your preference,
                            cut in 3 pieces
1       can             tausi or salted black beans, drained
1       medium    tomato, diced
1       medium    onion, diced
2       cloves        garlic, minced
1       tbsp            ginger, julienned
3       tsp              vinegar
2       tbsp            vegetable oil
1       stalk           green onion, diced

Procedure

Clean the fish and cut to serving pieces. Usually, the fish is deep fried for tausi. But I preferred it broiled at 425°F for 30 minutes. Set aside.

In a pan, heat the vegetable oil, saute the ginger, onion and garlic. Next add the tomato. Saute for a couple of minutes.  Add the black beans and vinegar, let boil for a few minutes. Then add the fish.

Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with green onion as toppings. Serve with rice.




This is the first time I cooked this dish.  It turned out good. It was delicious. I will definitely cook this dish again.

2 comments:

  1. Nun ko pa gusto lutuin yan. Yung kapitbahay ko nag promise na magluluto i hope soon:)

    Minsan din lang kung lutuin n nanay ko yan but is she does it must be not just ordinary day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try mo na lutuin soon. Something different naman..

      Delete